Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mental Margarita from October 3, 2007



When I emailed this image out to my Mental Margarita list, I made a joke about how great it would be if this rose picture came with scratch-and-sniff technology. You have no idea how badly I want that right in this very moment. As I compose this blog, my 16 year-old Border Collie, Zeus, is lying by my desk. He has to be underfoot, but he has the WORST gas today. Oy. I have a scented candle (gardenia, not rose, as would be appropriate for this post) burning right under my nose, but it's no use. The boy is fragrant. Yarg.

Anyway, regarding art, photography, and life in general, I saw a quote today by Anais Nin I had seen before, and I was happy it fell into my lap again:

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are"

I think that's what I love about photography. It allows me to take something that "is" and show it to you the way I see it, or the way I am. If you were to shoot it, you'd show it to me the way you are. If I ever teach a photography class, I think this would be an interesting assignment: have all the students take a picture of the same thing, but give them no further instruction. It would be fascinating to see the many different expressions of themselves.

Oh, man, Zeus just let loose again. I have to sneak into another room for a while. Thank God for laptops. I hope he doesn't follow me in... and here he comes, tail a-wagging. Dogs.

No comments: